24 March 2012

Pubs: The Camden Head

6 March 2012 - The Camden Head, Islington, London

I visited the Camden Head in London on a Tuesday evening.  I intended to visit The York, but due to my ill-timed train trip into London, I found The York to be completely packed by the time I arrived around 5:00pm.  There was nary an empty table or bar stool in the joint, so I did a quick 180 and scampered back out onto the cobblestones.  I figured if I continued to walk down the alley in the same direction I was bound to run into another pub.  You know, since they are everywhere.

Down the alley I went.  It was a charming alley that had a pretty neat Diagon Alley-esque quality.  

flare-iphoto-export-354234763

I soon ran into The Camden Head.  It wasn't nearly as crowded as The York, but it was still pretty busy.  It took a hot minute to get served at the bar, even though there were only a couple of people in front of me.  I looked around for a food menu or menu board and didn't spot one, so no food for me.  I ended up ordering an Old Speckled Hen. 

The only seats available downstairs were at the bar, and I actually had a bit of writing to do, so I went upstairs to find a table.   Upstairs it was pretty much me and my beer, and a couple who were having a heated discussion at a low volume in the opposite corner.

flare-iphoto-export-354236688

I nursed the hell out of that beer.  It took me forever to make progress on it, I don't know why.  In the meantime, the couple in the corner made up, and then proceeded to silently hug for a good 5 minutes.  It was bizarre.  I'm pretty sure they would have been making out if I hadn't been there.  Sorry y'all.

flare-iphoto-export-354236860

My husband eventually met up with me and helped me finish my beer.  Then we headed off into the lamplight.

flare-iphoto-export-354237782

No comments:

Post a Comment